Apply for my nsfas
Apply for my nsfas
NSFAS is a government entity under the Department of Higher Education and Training established according to the NSFAS Act (Act 56 of 1999) to provide financial support to disadvantaged students who wish to further their studies at public universities or TVET colleges.
READ ALSO my nsfas online application 2023-2024
TVET Colleges NSFAS Application 2023-2024
The NSFAS applications system for 2023 will be open from 2 November 2023 to 7 January 2024 when the National Senior Certificate results are out.
NSFAS Application Cycles
- National Certificate Vocation (NC(v)), Semester 1 and Trimester 1 – Annual – online application and walk-in assistive capture application at the beginning of each year
- Trimester 2 & 3 as per DHET calendar, in May and September respectively, also Walk-in assistive capture application
- Semester 2 June – July walk in, assistive capture application
NSFAS Requirements for TVET Colleges Application 2023
- South African citizens are eligible for this bursary scheme only
- Students must be registered or intending to register on a PLP, NC(V), or Report 191 programme at any of the fifty (50) public TVET Colleges in South Africa
- Must be in need of financial assistance (NSFAS will determine whether or not a student meets the financial eligibility criteria)
- All Returning students should demonstrate proven and accepted academic performance (academically deserving) in line with the College’s progression policy or the progression prescriptions of the Bursary Rules and Guidelines (whichever is higher)
- Candidates should not be enrolling for a qualification that duplicates previous learning that was state-funded
- Applicants will qualify if they fall within the maximum threshold of up to R350,000 of combined gross family income per annum and are admitted/received a firm offer for enrolment in a College.
Who qualifies for NSFAS funding?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualify for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- A person with a disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.
Who should not apply?
- Students that have completed a previous qualification.
- Students with a combined household income of more than R350 000 per annum.
- Students who have already applied, qualified and received funding. They are automatically funded for the duration of their studies provided they pass their modules and meet the academic requirements.
- Foreign students (any student who is not a South African citizen).
How to Re-Apply and Register for NSFAS Application 2023-2024
Applicants must Apply and Register online on the myNSFAS portal for 2022 as a user or Re-register a myNSFAS account. To do so, follow the steps outlined below:
- Applicants should visit NSFAS website: www.nsfas.org.za
- On the NSFAS webpage, click on the “myNSFAS” tab at the top right corner of the page
- myNSFAS page will be open with a welcome message ” Welcome to the myNSFAS student portal”
- If you wish to Re-register your myNSFAS account, enter your username (i.e. your email address) and password
- And if you want to Register, please click on “Register”. Please ensure that you have a valid copy of your South African ID or unbridged birth certificate copy before you register your profile.
- Tick the box to allow NSFAS to verify and validate the information you have provided with third parties
- Then, enter your ID number on the field as it is stated on your ID document
- Type your full names and surname as per your ID number in the space provided
- Enter your current email address
- Verify your email address
- Ensure that you enter your cellphone number
- Create your preferred password
- Then you Confirm the password
- Upload a copy of your ID document
- After that, kindly click on register to receive a one time pin
- A Time Pin (OTP) will be sent to the email address and the cellphone number you provided (this OTP will expire after 24 hours)
- Type in the OTP and click submit
- Finally, you have now completed your NSFAS Registration for 2023