Does nsfas fund university of pretoria

Does nsfas fund university of pretoria

Does nsfas fund university of pretoria

my nsfas status

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) issues bursaries through a government bursary scheme that sees them issuing funding to underprivileged students who want to study at universities or TVET colleges.

You might be asking, do they fund the University of Pretoria (UP)?

NSFAS funds those students who plan to attend or are attending one of the country’s 26 public Universities and UP is one of them.

UP students get the following allowances:

  • Once off-book allowance for textbooks and other learning materials which usually is up to R5200 per year
  • Meal allowance usually comes to R15 000 paid over a 10 month period
  • Travel allowance for students staying at home are usually R7500 paid over 10 months
  • Accommodation allowance, for students staying at UP Privately Owned Student Accommodation is given at usually up to R40 000 and is paid over 10 months

NSFAS Requirements for funding:

  • Must be a South African citizen
  • Financial constraints which don’t allow you to fund your own studies such as:
    • Having a combined household income that’s under R350 000 per year
    • You have a disability and your combined annual household income is less than R600 000
    • You are a SASSA grant recipient
  • Must be applying to get a formal qualification from a public university or TVET College
  • You passed grade 12

How to apply

You need to apply for admission to a teaching Qualification (BEd or PGCE) or a Bachelors degree (e.g BCom, BSc, BA) with at least one major course in a priority area and commit to following this on with a PGCE teaching qualification. Once you gained admission at a University, you are required to apply for the bursary via

Note: Keep your UP student number as well as SA ID number, handy when applying.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.