nsfas monthly allowance 2023-2024
nsfas monthly allowance
The NSFAS Act (Act 56 of 1999) established a government body under the Department of Higher Studies and Training to support underprivileged students who seek to continue their education at public universities or TVET institutes.
The mission statement is divided into three main sections, each of which explains why NSFAS exists and how it benefits the intended audience:
- NSFAS exists to assist qualified student in receiving financial aid at TVET colleges and public universities;
- NSFAS identifies eligible students, provides bursaries and collects past student loan repayments to replenish the funds available for future generations of students; and,
- NSFAS supports access to, and success in, higher education and training for students from poor and working-class families who would otherwise not be able to afford to study
What does the allowance cover?
Accommodation, living allowance, transportation, and learning materials amounts must all be in accordance with the most recent DHET criteria.
- Accommodation in an urban area R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in an peri-urban area R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in an rural area R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from institution) R7,350 per annum
- Transport R7000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum
How long does the Nsfas allowance take to be paid?
NSFAS allowances will be paid during the first week of each month over a period of 10 months.
Who is eligible for the allowance?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualifies for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- Person with disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum
The required documents are as follows:
- Copy of ID
- Proof of household income
- Parents IDs (for dependent applicants)
- Academic record
For all other student-related questions, please contact:
Tel No.: 08000 67327
Very Useful Links