Tvet colleges meaning
Tvet colleges meaning
In South Africa, students can further their studies at various higher education institutions. Some who choose not to attend a public university may choose to go to a college which focuses on vocational and occupational aspects.
It may be confusing to figure out which colleges to attend when they fall under the various abbreviations such as an FET College and a TVET College.
OPENING AND CLOSING DATE: Applications close on 30th November 2023
So what is a FET College?
Well FET stands for Further Education and Training College and is an old term that was used and has since been changed to TVET. At these colleges the focus is on more vocational and occupational aspects provided from Grades 10 to 12 including career-oriented education and training offered in technical colleges, community colleges and private colleges.
At the further education and training level, there are both private and public colleges. Students who are looking to study at a private college should ensure that the college that they plan on applying to is registered and that the course they plan to do is accredited.
Since FET is just the older name for TVET, there are no differences between the two Colleges.
TVET stands for Technical and Vocational Education and Training. At the TVET College, a student receives education and training which relates to a specific range of jobs, employment or entrepreneurial possibilities.
The TVET College website states that under certain conditions, students may qualify for admission into a University of Technology to continue their studies at a higher level in the same field of study that they were studying at the TVET College.
Colleges that operate under the term TVET are public colleges that benefit from state funds and subsidies. Thus, students studying at TVET Colleges are eligible for funding from NSFAS if they meet the other requirements.
The NSFAS criteria for TVET students is as follows:
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must be registered or intending to register on a PLP, NC(V) or Report 191 programme at any public TVET College in South Africa
- Must be admitted/received a firm offer for enrolment in a College
- Must be in need of financial assistance
- Applicants will qualify if they fall within the maximum threshold of up to R350 000 of combined gross family income per annum
- Returning students must demonstrate proven and accepted academic performance (academically deserving) in line with the College’s progression policy or the progression prescriptions of the Bursary Rules and Guidelines (whichever is higher)
- Must not be enrolling for a qualification that duplicates previous learning that was state-funded
If you meet these requirements, then you will be eligible for NSFAS TVET College funding which covers tuition fees, accommodation fees, and transport allowances.
List of TVET Colleges
- Central Johannesburg TVET College
- Ekurhuleni East TVET College
- Ekurhuleni West TVET College
- Sedibeng TVET College
- South West Gauteng TVET College
- Tshwane North TVET College
- Tshwane South TVET College
- Western TVET College
- Coastal TVET College
- Elangeni TVET College
- Esayidi TVET College
- Majuba TVET College
- Mnambithi TVET College
- Mthashana TVET College
- Thekwini TVET College
- Umfolozi TVET College
- Umgungundlovu TVET College
- Boland TVET College
- College of Cape Town
- False Bay College
- Northlink TVET College
- South Cape TVET College
- West Coast TVET College
- Buffalo City TVET College
- Eastcape Midlands TVET College
- Ikhala TVET College
- Ingwe TVET College
- King Hintsa TVET College
- King Sabata Dalindyebo TVET College
- Lovedale TVET College
- Port Elizabeth TVET College
- Flavius Mareka TVET College
- Goldfields TVET College
- Maluti TVET College
- Motheo TVET College
- Capricorn TVET College
- Lephalale TVET College
- Letaba TVET College
- Mopani South East TVET College
- Sekhukhune TVET College
- Vhembe TVET College
- Waterberg TVET College
- Ehlanzeni TVET College
- Gert Sibande TVET College
- Nkangala TVET College
- Northern Cape Urban TVET College
- Northern Cape Rural TVET College
- Orbit TVET College
- Taletso TVET College
- Vuselela TVET College